IV infusions are today’s ‘liquid miracle’ in rejuvenating, revitalizing, and repairing the body to get rid of all impurities. Technology has innovated the traditional IV into an effective infusion of nutrients we need. This procedure has become quite popular, with many people trying it for themselves. Its unique yet practical approach towards health and wellness has gradually created a fanbase, and now, it has become a trend. IV infusions might sound confusing, so we’re here to help you out. Today, we’ll learn all about IV infusions and it works.
What are IV Infusions?
IV infusion is a therapy that uses liquid vitamins and nutrients in rejuvenating, revitalizing, and repairing the body. When we take vitamins or supplements orally, it’s still required to pass through our digestive system first. This path taken by nutrients can result in lesser absorption than how much it’s supposed to be. Meanwhile, IV infusions are much more straightforward than the ones mentioned above. It delivers nutrients, vitamins, and minerals directly to the bloodstream. Our bodies can then utilize these nutrients immediately and effectively. Nowadays, our world is full of stressors, toxins, obesity, and diseases. We need to replenish the nutrients that get depleted or inadequately absorbed by our digestive system. Using IV infusions, the nutrients we get can help counteract these negative factors. These therapies can become effective for the following conditions:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic fatigue
- Mood disorders
In addition, IV infusions can also aid athletes in attaining their needed peak performance or give them support, especially for those who battle chronic illnesses. Available nutritional therapies help restore one’s health, balance, and vitality to our body. Some of the benefits are:
- Clearer skin
- Heal wounds or repair tissues
- Increased energy
- Improved mood
- Improved immunity
- Weight loss
- Pump infusions – is the most common method used in the U.S. The pump is attached to the IV line and then sends the medication plus a solution like sterile saline into the catheter gradually, steady. Pumps can be an option when medication dosages require utmost precision and control.
- Drip infusions – utilizes gravity in delivering a constant amount of medication over a given period. The medication and solution drip from a bag down through a tube and into the catheter with each drip.
How Do IV Infusions Work?
In general, IV infusions (intravenous) deliver a combination of solutions of saline, minerals, vitamins, and electrolytes through a tiny catheter and tubing directly into the bloodstream.
The intravenous route has always been the fastest way to deliver fluids and medications throughout our bodies. Due to their direct introduction to our circulation, it is the fastest. The ingredients in every IV formula are specifically blended per individual to address a variety of that person’s health needs.
During this treatment, your doctor or a nurse place and inserts an IV line directly into your vein, straight to the bloodstream. This IV line is attached to a saline solution bag that usually consists of a mixture of your treatment’s ingredients. IV infusion treatments are well blended and are mixed right in front of you, so you’ll precisely know and see what goes into your body. This blend is freshly made using sterile products, and it can also be personalized for you and depend on your doctor’s recommendation and health goals.
The IV infusion bag is then hung above your head. These bags allow gravity to start carrying fluid down into your veins over time, compared to a syringe or other forms of forced infusion techniques.
Generally speaking, the duration of one single IV infusion treatment will significantly vary from individual to individual, but on average, it can last between 45 – 50 minutes.
IV Infusion Formula – What’s In It?
IV infusion formulas consist of a concoction of ingredients designed explicitly to treat conditions or target particular health goals. These treatments usually contain essential fluids, minerals, vitamins, electrolytes, and antioxidants. Each treatment is planned to have the optimal balance of nutrients, providing a broad scope of health benefits for the body.
Although specific ingredients will vary per treatment, most IV infusion formulas have these essential components:
- Saline solution – is sterile sodium chloride and water mixture that helps the body’s hydration and aids in the facilitation of delivering medications and vitamins.
- Vitamins – are organic nutrients, like vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, that the body utilizes typically in maintaining its normal functions. Usually, you must obtain such nutrients externally through food intake, drinking, or an IV infusion.
- Electrolytes – are essential elements and compounds that help hydrate our bodies, regulate our nerve and muscle function, blood pressure, and much more. Besides sodium, our bodies need calcium, potassium, chloride, bicarbonate, magnesium, and phosphate, all considered electrolytes.
In addition to these, some IV infusion formulas contain diluted medications mixed into the saline solution, helping improve nausea or enhance the relief against pain.
When deciding which treatment will be best for your body, don’t be clouded by doubt and worry right away. During each appointment, the first thing you and your doctor will do is a consultation that lets you talk about your lifestyle and health goals you want to address. Based on your talk and your medical history, your doctor will suggest the best IV infusion treatment for you. In addition, these treatments can also be fully customized, targeting all the specifics your body needs.
Why Choose IV Therapy Over Oral Supplements?
In choosing IV infusions over oral supplements and other related forms, here’s a quick comparison and the two and why you should choose the former over the latter:
- Oral supplements and medications have lesser bioavailability than IV infusions since they must first go down and pass through the digestive tract. It is where they are then metabolized even before reaching circulation. Factors such as age, activity level, stress, illness, malabsorption issues, and previous gastrointestinal surgery can also significantly influence how well the body absorbs supplements and medications.
- Ingredients in IV infusions are almost 100% directly absorbed by the body since they are administered straight into the bloodstream, bypassing the route of the digestion system. The body utilizes the maximum amount of what it needs from what it gets.
- Since nutrients administrated through IV infusions are delivered into the bloodstream, the ingredients become immediately available to the body’s cells, hugely diminishing the time it takes for medication or supplement to take effect.
- IV infusions are administered directly into the bloodstream, circumventing the digestive system.
- IV infusions are ideal for those who may have difficulty ingesting fluids or medication because of nausea or illness. Similarly, it can also benefit individuals with malabsorption issues because it helps ensure that their prescription, fluids, and vitamins are accessible to cells.
Takeaways on IV Infusions
IV infusions are safe and straightforward ways of ensuring the rejuvenation, revitalization, and repair of the body when oral means fail. It may be scary to some, especially for first-timers, but you’ll be good to go with proper consultation with your doctor. See the beauty of IV infusions and start enjoying their long-lasting effects.